How to keep you pets safe, happy this Halloween
Halloween can be a fun time for the humans (and goblins) in your house, but from your pet’s point of view, it can be quite scary and even dangerous! Here are some things that to be aware of so that Halloween can be fun for your pets too.
At Halloween there are so many different costumes that can scare your pet, such as outfits with “noisy” fabrics, such as satin and tulle. Then, there are all those accessories, such as hats, fake facial hair, and crazy wigs. To a pet, these can be quite frightening. If you’ll be wearing a costume, leave it out a few days ahead, or even wear a part of it for a few minutes, so your pet can check it out.
We all know those dogs that bark at the door the second someone knocks or rings the bell. It’s tolerable if it’s just once, but when there are people at the door all night, it can get annoying for the humans in the house, and be nerve-wracking for the pet.
For anxious pets, keeping them in a separate room is often the best idea. Make sure they have food and water, and toys to amuse them. Keeping your pet away from the front door and doorbell will also decrease the risk of them panicking and running out of the house.
As a preventive measure, you can try a natural anti-anxiety remedy that you mix into your pet’s drinking water a day or two ahead. Or try a spray, diffuser, or collar that contains calming pheromones. These types of products are available from a pet store or your veterinarian.
The main risk with jack-o-lanterns is the candle that goes inside them. Most injuries due to open flames are either burned whiskers and facial fur, or else singed paws. Try to place these pumpkins out on your front step where you pet cannot reach them, or use fake candles that give a realistic-looking flicker, but eliminate the danger.
Most people are familiar with the fact that chocolate causes kidney failure in pets, but are unaware that xylitol (an artificial sweetener found in “sugar-free” foods) can be deadly too. Xylitol toxicity looks similar to a diabetic crisis - the blood sugar drops suddenly, and the pet can vomit, walk unsteadily, and have seizures.
If you think your pet has gotten into candies, go immediately to a veterinary clinic where they can deal with this emergency.
Christina Holland is an animal health technologist in Airdrie. To have your pet questions answered, contact email@example.com
*This article is not intended to replace the medical opinion of your veterinarian.*