View our mobile site

Accidental fire causes $200,000 in damage

By: Matt Durnan

  |  Posted: Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 12:23 pm

A fire broke out in the kitchen of this home at 219 Hillcrest Circle on Dec. 31 after a combustible material was left near a stove.
A fire broke out in the kitchen of this home at 219 Hillcrest Circle on Dec. 31 after a combustible material was left near a stove.
Matt Durnan/Rocky View Publishing

Comments    |   

Print    |   

A A


A residential fire at 219 Hillcrest Circle on Dec. 31, 2013 caused an estimated $200,000 in damage to the interior and contents of the home.

The fire has been ruled as accidental by the Airdrie Fire Department (AFD), and the cause was determined to be combustible materials that were left near or on a kitchen stove.

The stove had been accidentally turned on, resulting in a low, but hot smoldering fire occurring.

Thick, heavy black smoke from the fire quickly filled all levels of the home, causing extensive damage.

When AFD crews arrived they found that a single resident of the home at the time of the blaze had made it safely outside and was evaluated by Alberta Health Services paramedics at the scene.

Firefighters located and safely removed the owner’s pet cat from the second floor of the residence.

No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.

According to the Office of the Fire Commissioner (OFC) of Alberta, kitchen/cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home fire injuries in the province.

They are also the second leading cause of fire-related deaths in Alberta.

Some tips from the OFC to avoid kitchen fires include:

• Do not leave cooking unattended.

• Check on your cooking regularly and use a timer to remind you that the stove is on.

• If you must leave the kitchen when you’re cooking, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove and remove pots/pans from burners.

• Keep potholders, oven mitts, utensils, food packaging, paper and plastic bags, towels and other flammable objects away from the stovetop.

• Clean food and grease from stovetops.

• In the event of a grease fire, do not use water to extinguish it. Also do not try to move a pan of burning oil as the oil may spill over the edges and create new fires.

For more information on kitchen fire safety, visit the OFC website at www.ofc.alberta.ca


Comments


Heartbleed Image

For our readers who use DISQUS to post comments and opinions on our websites please take note of this alert concerning the recent Heartbleed bug affecting Internet Security.

READ THE ALERT HERE

The Airdrie City View welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to delete comments deemed inappropriate. We reserve the right to close the comments thread for stories that are deemed especially sensitive. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher.

All comments are moderated, and if approved could take up to 48 hours to appear on the website.

blog comments powered by Disqus