Accidental fire causes $200,000 in damage
By: Matt Durnan
| Posted: Thursday, Jan 09, 2014 12:23 pm
A residential fire at 219 Hillcrest Circle on Dec. 31, 2013 caused an estimated $200,000 in damage to the interior and contents of the home.
The fire has been ruled as accidental by the Airdrie Fire Department (AFD), and the cause was determined to be combustible materials that were left near or on a kitchen stove.
The stove had been accidentally turned on, resulting in a low, but hot smoldering fire occurring.
Thick, heavy black smoke from the fire quickly filled all levels of the home, causing extensive damage.
When AFD crews arrived they found that a single resident of the home at the time of the blaze had made it safely outside and was evaluated by Alberta Health Services paramedics at the scene.
Firefighters located and safely removed the owner’s pet cat from the second floor of the residence.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.
According to the Office of the Fire Commissioner (OFC) of Alberta, kitchen/cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home fire injuries in the province.
They are also the second leading cause of fire-related deaths in Alberta.
Some tips from the OFC to avoid kitchen fires include:
• Do not leave cooking unattended.
• Check on your cooking regularly and use a timer to remind you that the stove is on.
• If you must leave the kitchen when you’re cooking, even for a short period of time, turn off the stove and remove pots/pans from burners.
• Keep potholders, oven mitts, utensils, food packaging, paper and plastic bags, towels and other flammable objects away from the stovetop.
• Clean food and grease from stovetops.
• In the event of a grease fire, do not use water to extinguish it. Also do not try to move a pan of burning oil as the oil may spill over the edges and create new fires.
For more information on kitchen fire safety, visit the OFC website at www.ofc.alberta.ca