View our mobile site

Shed catches fire in condo complex

By: Matt Durnan

  |  Posted: Thursday, Jan 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Airdrie Fire Department responded to a fire inside a garbage bin in a storage shed at 2445 Kinglands Rd. SE on Jan. 10.
Airdrie Fire Department responded to a fire inside a garbage bin in a storage shed at 2445 Kinglands Rd. SE on Jan. 10.
MATT DURNAN/Rocky View Publishing

Comments    |   

Print    |   

A A


The Airdrie Fire Department (AFD) responded to a garbage bin fire in a condominium complex at 2445 Kingsland Rd. SE on Jan. 10 at 6:20 p.m.

When fire crews arrived, they found a garbage bin fully engulfed in flames, situated partly inside a large wooden storage shed, located in the courtyard of the complex.

Heavy flames and smoke could be seen pouring from inside the structure, and the extreme heat from the blaze extended to the exterior of the shed, melting the vinyl siding, according to Deputy Chief Garth Rabel

The cause of the fire hasn’t been determined by AFD officials and Rabel says he would be surprised if an exact cause can be determined.

“There could have been any number of things that caused the fire,” said Rabel.

“It’s just hard to determine because it is in a condo complex and there’s so many people who use these bins.”

Rabel took the opportunity to advise residents to take care when disposing of smoking materials such as cigarettes or matches, as well as combustibles.

“We have the facilities like the recycle depot to recycle things like aerosol cans and containers that contain flammable liquids, so we advise everyone to make use of them and avoid mixing those things in with the garbage,” said Rabel.

According to AFD reports, when the shed fire was initially discovered, two residents attempted to remove the bin from the building, but conditions worsened and they abandoned the attempt. Firefighters were able to completely remove the large bin from the interior of the building and thoroughly douse the contents with water and foam. Once the fire was brought under control, fire suppression efforts then focused on the fire inside of the storage shed. Both fires were quickly extinguished but not before significant damage occurred. Initial damage estimates have been placed at $20,000, with much of the damage being done to the garbage bin, shed and garage doors on the shed. No nearby property or vehicles were damaged and no injuries were reported.


Comments


Heartbleed Image

For our readers who use DISQUS to post comments and opinions on our websites please take note of this alert concerning the recent Heartbleed bug affecting Internet Security.

READ THE ALERT HERE

The Airdrie City View welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to delete comments deemed inappropriate. We reserve the right to close the comments thread for stories that are deemed especially sensitive. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher.

All comments are moderated, and if approved could take up to 48 hours to appear on the website.

blog comments powered by Disqus