Extensive smoke damage to Sagewood home after kitchen fire
Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 11:33 am
A fire broke out in the kitchen of a home at 478 Sagewood Dr. on March 25.
The Airdrie Fire Department (AFD) determined the cause of the fire was a pot of oil on the stove that had been left unattended.
The lone occupant of the home was able to extinguish the fire and remove the pot from the heat source before making his way safely outside.
He was assessed by firefighters on scene for minor smoke inhalation.
AFD crews arrived on scene at around 4:40 p.m. to smoke coming from the lower level of the two-storey home. Firefighters entered the home and found no working fire to extinguish and set to work ventilating the home and conducting thermal imaging scans.
“The home was charged with smoke so we had to use our thermal imaging to ensure that there was no fire extension in to the walls, ceiling and cabinets in the kitchen,” said Deputy Chief Garth Rabel, AFD.
Kitchen fires remain one of the leading causes of household fires, according to Rabel, who offered some safety tips to avoid accidents.
“Don’t leave your cooking unattended,” he said. “There are cooking tools that don’t necessarily have to be monitored like a crock pot, but if you’re cooking on a stove top or microwave, you have to be mindful.”
The Sagewood home sustained an estimated $10,000 in damages, caused mainly by smoke.
More safety tips from the AFD are available through the City of Airdrie website at www.airdrie.ca