Kitchen fire in Woodside causes $5,000 in damage
By: Matt Durnan
| Posted: Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 11:48 am
Airdrie Fire Department (AFD) responded to a report of a kitchen fire in Woodside in the early hours of April 15.
Fire crews arrived at the single story home at 24 Woodside Rd. at approximately 12 a.m. and found a resident waiting outside.
The resident informed crews a fire had occurred earlier in the evening in a frying pan that had been left on the stove unattended. Three residents were in the home at the time of the fire and were alerted by the home’s smoke alarms.
One of the residents quickly extinguished the fire with a wet towel and shut down the stove’s burner and opened the windows to ventilate the home.
The heat from the fire caused damage to the stove, surrounding kitchen cabinets and stove hood fan. Firefighters thoroughly checked adjacent walls and ceiling through the use of the Thermal Imaging Camera (TIC) to ensure that the fire had not extended.
“The good news in this is that the smoke alarms functioned how they were supposed to and the residents were able to extinguish the fire on their own,” said Deputy Chief Garth Rabel. “Even if you get the fire under control on your own, you should call 911 and have professionals come in to ensure that the fire hasn’t extended into your cabinets or walls.”
Air quality in the home was also measured to determine that the area was safe; when no notable contamination was found, the residents were able to return to their home.
AFD investigators have placed damage estimates to the home at around $5,000. No injuries were reported from the incident and the AFD is reminding residents of the importance of being safe and attentive while cooking.
“We want people to make sure that they’re being cautious and careful when they’re cooking to prevent these kinds of accidents,” Rabel said, “You should not leave pots or pans unattended on the stove.”
For more fire prevention and safety tips, visit www.airdrie.ca