Carelessness cause of fire in Canals

0

The careless disposal of a lit cigarette has been determined to be the cause of a fire in the Canals neighbourhood Aug. 2 that resulted in approximately $150,000 in damage to a home and its contents, according to Airdrie Fire Department (AFD) Deputy Chief Garth Rabel.

“That’s the estimate from the (Fire Prevention) Bureau,” Rabel said.

Firefighters were called to the home located on Canals Close S.W. at 11:32 a.m., according to Rabel. When they arrived, they found the occupant of the home had already evacuated.

The fire began on an attached back wooden deck and quickly entered the interior of the home. According to Rabel, firefighters were able to quickly bring the blaze under control.

“They found that the fire had extended from the outside to the inside, so they had to open up any void spaces, use the thermal imaging camera and start to determine where the fire had potentially spread,” he said.

“We found damage inside the house.”

A total of 14 firefighters and four pieces of equipment were required to fight the fire, according to Rabel. An engineer was called to look at the home and it was determined it was inhabitable until remediation could take place.

“They had insurance and they were able to contact those folks and were taken care of through that venue,” Rabel said.

The Fire Prevention Bureau was brought in to investigate and determined the cause of the fire to be careless disposal of a cigarette. The incident led Rabel to issue a warning and reminder to residents.

“We need people that do partake in cigarettes or cigars or whatever the case may be to just properly dispose of the end result – the cigarette butts,” he said.

“Don’t throw them out of cars; put them into ashtrays, put them into water. Make sure they are thoroughly out. Never place them in organic material such as planters or flowerbeds or that sort of thing. Dispose of them properly.”

Share.

About Author