Multi-family Bayside CO event
Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 06:00 am
The Airdrie Fire Department responded to a request for help from homeowners in Bayside Nov. 24 after a number of carbon monoxide (CO) alarms went off in a multi-family residence, according to Deputy Fire Chief Garth Rabel.
Rabel said when crews arrived just after 9 p.m., they found nine residents from six of the affected homes had already evacuated.
“The cause was determined to be a gas generator that was in an attached garage with a partially opened door, which just didn’t allow the CO that’s generated with the gas unit to escape the home,” he said.
Exhaust from the generator first filled the garage and then the main living area of the home and then proceeded to move into the five attached homes in the six-unit complex.
“There were extremely elevated levels (of CO) in the house,” Rabel said. “The resident next door had a CO alarm in their residence – it did go off and made them aware.”
After clearing the residences of CO with the help of the ATCO Emergency Response Team, all residents were allowed back in their homes.
Rabel said CO is known as the silent killer because it is odourless and invisible. Having a working CO alarm on each level of the home, three to five metres from each bedroom can save lives.
“At the end of the event, ATCO Gas, along with AFD, installed additional CO detectors in all the residences they could gain entry to,” he said. “They didn’t necessarily have them because those weren’t required back when those (units) were built.”
Rabel said newer homes are now required to have CO and smoke detectors installed during construction as part of the building code.
Rabel said more information about carbon monoxide safety can be found on the City’s website at airdrie.ca or ATCO Gas’ website at atcogas.com