On the morning of May 11, the Airdrie Fire Department (AFD) responded to reports of a structure fire in the 2000 block of Baysprings Link SW.
A total of 13 firefighters arrived on the scene and one adult patient was assessed by Alberta Health Services (AHS), according to a press release from the City of Airdrie.
Upon arrival, firefighters observed light grey smoke on the main level of the two-storey residential home. Smoke alarms had been activated, but one resident remained in the house, attempting to extinguish the blaze with water.
The first arriving crew quickly extinguished the fire that was located in the area of an overhead microwave oven. The firefighters quickly and safely helped the resident out of the burning home and made sure they received care from paramedics from AHS, who were already there.
According to the City, the firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to check for possible fire extensions and then worked to remove smoke from the area before completing air quality monitoring and clearing the scene.
They determined the fire was caused by a faulty electrical microwave appliance and resulted in an estimated $10,000 worth of damages to the contents and structure, according to the Fire Prevention Bureau.
In light of the incident, AFD is reminding the public of the importance of having a family escape plan, which should be initiated immediately once smoke alarms or carbon monoxide detectors have been triggered.
As per AFD’s instructions, families and pets must gather at their pre-determined muster point and call 911 for assistance from a safe location without attempting to go back inside their homes.
AFD is urging the public to review their fire safety plans and ensure they are well-prepared to handle emergency situations, which can potentially prevent any loss of life or property damage.