ATCO Gas has launched a province-wide campaign warning Albertans about the dangers of carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide, or CO, is referred to as the silent killer because of its colourless, odourless and tasteless characteristics. The gas can cause sudden illness and in some cases death.
“People need to know that when they are heating their homes or businesses, or warming their cars, there’s a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning,” said Brian Hahn, ATCO Gas president. “It’s critical that we learn how to protect ourselves and our families.”
Last year, the gas company received about 3,300 phone calls relating to CO exposure.
ATCO will give away a CO detector each weekday until March 31, 2011 to raise awareness about the noxious gas. A quiz is available on ATCO’s website where people can participate to win.
People are urged to take the following precautions to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
• Have a qualified technician inspect fuel-burning appliances each year
• Never leave a car running in a garage, even with the overhead door open
• Always have a fresh air supply while using a wood-burning fireplace
• Check the flame of all natural gas appliances regularly, it should be blue
• Keep all flue vents and chimneys free of blockages
• Install an approved carbon monoxide detector
For more information, visit www.atcogas.com or call 403-245-7888.