Airdrie Fire Department members responded to a structure fire on April 4, after a pot containing cooking oil overheated and ignited on a stovetop at the local Motel 6.
The fire was quickly extinguished by the building overhead sprinkler system, according to a news release from the City of Airdrie, but damages to the structure and contents have been estimated at $50,000.
The fire occurred in a main level guest room, the City's release stated, where fire crews found light, grey smoke and water covering the main floor when they entered the building.
Once the fire had been fully extinguished by the sprinkler system, salvage and cleanup efforts were started by the thirteen firefighters on scene.
All motel staff and guests had safely evacuated to the parking area by the time that fire crews arrived on scene, and there were no injuries to report.
In a public safety announcement after the fire, the City reminded residents to be cautious while cooking, as kitchens remain one of the leading sources of fires in the home.
“Never leave the stove or oven unattended when in use,” the PSA stated. “When cooking with oil it is advised that you use a proper appliance designed for deep frying. Ensure that you have residential fire extinguisher which is easily accessible in your kitchen.”